The Klickitat River

Blog #2

The Klickitat river near our camp starts in the goat rocks at en elevation of 8 thousand feet and goes all the way to the Columbia River at 100 feet. 

The Klickitat River

Everyone has things that they love, things that they can’t imagine parting, even though other people believe otherwise when they see them. Here at the Klickitat River, I see the things that the Native Americans find precious every day, and you would be amazed at the beautiful views and sounds that’s capture their hearts-a set of hiking trails each with different directions and every destination different, a huge rock that you can climb off to jump into the cold gentle river, 237 thousand acres of prime timberland that soak up the water. There is no arguing that with their confidence and love for their land I,  too, find things precious in this land: the young individuals. When I went down to the river I challenged myself to climb up the rock and jump into the water. It was cold but I noticed that that factor didn’t prevent the younglings. It wasn’t until later that night that I learned why it was that they were brave enough to jump in it. Before Don left us he mentioned a couple more stories about himself and his life experience. He mentioned that their Brother Salmon sacrificed himself for his people so that they can have fish to eat. They believe that if their brother salmon can go up the river and endure the streams hardness that they can do it too. Seeing the younglings and their parents endure the water was a reflection of that belief. I find it special to have witnessed that and understand how their strength and motivation is influenced positively through these beliefs. Not only is it pure wisdom but universal amongst the whole land. Don also mentioned that they have other foods such as elk & reindeer, fruits and plants that were also gifted in similar ways, and they make sure they honor them to show their appreciation of that of what they have from Mother Nature. These younglings are one thing that I care about, even though I may not know their culture well. To be clear children, in general, are amazing and are a part of my vision for the future of my community. Just reading what I’ve written here makes me optimistic about the future ahead of us. My energy starts to rise as soon as I encounter younglings or young adult as they share about their family, their culture, and about themselves. The fact that they depend on us as much as we depend on them is truly inspiring.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klamath Tribes’ Aquatics Program

The power of your story.

Gifford Pinchot National Forest